What's Cooking Wednesday

Stromboli

According to the Wikipedia, stromboli is "a type of turnover filled with various cheeses, typically mozzarella, Italian meats such as salami, capicola and bresaola or vegetables. The dough traditionally used is Italian bread dough."

I started making stromboli instead of homemade pizza because I could sneak veggies into them!  Much like pizza, you can customize stromboli and add whatever fillings you like.  My go-to version is spinach, tomato, provolone and pepperoni.  In the summer, I love to use carrot top pesto, zucchini, squash and parmesan.

Ingredients (makes 2 stromboli)
2 balls of pizza dough (18-20 oz. each)
1 bag of fresh spinach
4 vine ripened tomatoes
10 slices provolone cheese
16 slices pepperoni

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spray two baking sheets with nonstick spray.

2.  Roll out dough (one at a time) on a floured surface.  I use a rolling pin, but also stretch it out by hand.
3.  Transfer one at a time to the baking sheets and layer desired toppings.
 4.  Starting on one of the long sides, gently roll the dough and fillings until you have a log-like formation (I make mine into a crescent shape to fit on the pan).  Seal the ends and press the seam down so filling doesn't leak out.
5.  Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and transfer to a cutting board to slice.

We were so hungry, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product!  Trust me, it's so good! If desired, serve it with sauce on the side for dipping!

Comments

Popular Posts