Exploring Alcatraz

I don't think you can travel to San Francisco and not check out Alcatraz.  It sits on an island 1.25 miles out in the bay and is easily accessible by ferry from Pier 33.  I had been there when I was ten with my parents and found it very intriguing so I knew my kids would too!
It originally served as a military prison and then as a federal prison from 1933-1963.  It is now a National Historic Landmark and is operated by the National Park Service.
 Showers and laundry area where we picked up the audio tour which was excellent!
 A B-block cell...
 A D-block cell...
 Solitary...
One of the few views of the city from inside the prison...
 Outside near the Warden's house...
After our trip to Alcatraz and healthy walk back to our hotel from Pier 33 we decided to relax on the roof deck before dinner.  It was actually so warm out that I needed to back off of the gas fire pit!
 We changed for dinner and headed to Scoma's to meet some friends for dinner...
Dinner was excellent, I had their Crab Louis Salad which was incredible followed by their Torta Setteveli (seven layer cake).  Sorry, didn't want to whip out the camera with company present :)

Tomorrow our trip to Monterey...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts