What's Cooking Wednesday

Cranberry Almond Granola
I've loved granola ever since my parents introduced me to a boxed variety when I was a kid.  I remember how it would get a little soggy with milk, but still maintain a crunch.  Granola is everywhere now and while it can be healthy some of the store bought varieties are loaded with sugar.

I started making my own granola a few years ago and I couldn't believe how simple it was! This is my go-to recipe, but you can certainly play with it to create new flavor combinations.

I've replaced the applesauce (binder) with almond butter, peanut butter, pumpkin and pureed banana.  I've added uncooked quinoa for an additional crunch.  I've switched up the dried fruit and nuts too depending on what I have on hand.  It's hard to mess this up, unless you cook it too long!

Ingredients
3 cups oats
1/2 cup almonds, slivered or chopped
1/2 dried cranberries
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup flax seed
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1 T ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 baking dish or pan with non-stick cooking spray.

2.  In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flax seed and cinnamon.  Stir and then add applesauce, honey (or maple syrup) and vanilla.  Stir to combine, should be clumpy.

3.  Add dried cranberries and almonds, stir to combine.

4.  Pour into baking dish and spread evenly.

5.  Bake 30-40 minutes, stirring/turning every 10-15 minutes.  Let cool and store in an airtight container.
This recipe makes about 7-8 1/2 cup servings.  I usually enjoy it for breakfast with fresh fruit and plain Greek yogurt or simply with milk!  Of course it's delicious any time of day!



No Minimalist Here


Comments

Popular Posts